Simpl is a tool for quickly and efficiently implementing domain-specific languages. Its main target is enterprise information systems. The main design criteria of the Simpl toolset are the following.
- Visual (editor, IDE) and non-visual (parser, code generator) parts of a DSL implementation must be separate. The non-visual part does not depend on the visual part.
- Non-visual part of the DSL implementation is easily integrable into larger systems and does not make assumptions on how the larger system is implemented.
- Using Simpl, the language developer must be able to create a working DSL implementation with little effort. For a relatively simple language, the time to create a working code generator and an IDE should be less than a day.
Based on these design criteria, the Simpl builds on existing tools by combining them and creating a user-friendly frontend. In particular, Simpl is based on the following tools:
- ANTLR parser generator,
- Eclipse IDE,
- IDE Meta-Toling Platform (IMP),
- Scala programming language.
Simpl is developed in Cybernetica AS and Software Technology and Applications Competence Centre. It is licenced under GNU Lesser General Public License.
Contact: Margus Freudenthal, margus (at) cyber.ee